Deadline: December 1, 2019
Yenching Global Symposium 2020: Apply to be a Delegate
The theme of YGS 2020 is Sino-Sustainability: Reimagining Global Solutions. In tackling the broader theme of sustainability in a Chinese and global context, the symposium is organized into three subthemes, bringing together intersectional perspectives across the dimensions of politics, society, environment, economics, and technology.
The three subthemes are as follows:
1) Fulfilling Demand
As the global population continues to grow, the world faces a myriad of challenges in meeting society’s demands while maintaining the international goals of sustainable development. On the first day of the symposium, delegates will discuss how China can help fulfill the demands of an increasingly prosperous but unequal global society.
2) Allocating Resources
To escape the middle-income trap, China is reviewing how it allocates resources across traditional and emerging sectors, both domestically and abroad. The second day of the symposium will explore China’s structural transformations and its implications for the rest of the world.
3) Pursuing Longevity
As an emerging world leader, China offers unique solutions to long-term domestic and international sustainability challenges. On the final day of the symposium, delegates will consider the long-term significance of China’s growth and imagine the future relationship between China and the world.
The application for the Yenching Global Symposium 2020 is divided into the following sections:
1. Personal Information
2. Education and Employment
3. Symposium Information
4. Language Requirement and CV
5. Short Essay Questions
The short essay section requires each applicant to provide a written response of no more than 1,500 characters OR 2 minutes of video to EACH of the following questions:
1. What does ‘Sustainability’ in the global context of China’s development mean to you?
2. Choose one of the subthemes. Tell us why you are most interested in this subtheme.
3. What do you expect to learn from YGS and how will you use the knowledge acquired from the symposium in your field, country, or context? Please provide specific examples.
Optional: Is there any other information you would like to share about yourself? (Please do not repeat your CV)
We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, ethnic origin, religion, colour, gender, sexual orientation, educational background, ability, or disability. Applications close at 23:59 (China Standard Time), December 1, 2019. Successful applicants will be notified no later than early January 2020. If you have any further questions, please read the FAQs on our website (http://yenchingsymposium.org/faq). For all remaining questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips for Application:
1. Please save your responses on a word document for your reference. Drafts will not be saved. Please submit the full application when all responses are filled.
2. Your responses should be a maximum of 1,500 characters (for each essay response) or 2 minutes (for each video response). Essay responses that are less than 500 characters will not be competitive.3. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be accepted.
4. If English is not your first language or you have not graduated from an English-taught program, please provide a description of your English proficiency (examples: standardized tests).
5. YGS is fully funded (your airfare, accommodation, and meals are covered by the symposium organizers). If you receive any emails or communications asking for payment following your application, it is a scam.
6. Please be aware that YGS is unable to issue invitation letters containing barcodes for visa purposes. Please take note of this when applying for your tourist visa to China.
We welcome applications from anyone with strong leadership potential ready to participate in nuanced interdisciplinary discussions on questions surrounding China and global sustainability who meets the following criteria:
– Born after January 1, 1990;
– Possesses a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field at the time of application;
– Is available for the entirety of the symposium, March 27 – 29, 2020 (and any required travel time to and from Beijing);
– Is proficient in English;
– Holds a valid passport which does not expire within 6 months from February 2020;
– Has never attended any of the previous Yenching Global Symposiums or Yenching Social Innovation Forums;
– Bonus: Involvement in China-related activities: academic, voluntary, professional, or extra-curricular.
Visit official Website for Yenching Global Symposium 2020 for more information