Deadline: January 14, 2020
Applications are open for the World Press Photo Contest 2020 for Professional Visual Journalists. The World Press Photo Contest rewards photographers for the best single exposure pictures contributing to the past year of visual journalism. Whether entered as singles or stories, these pictures are judged in terms of their accurate, fair, and visually compelling insights about our world.
The World Press Photo Contest recognizes the best visual journalism and awards visual stories in eight categories:
- Contemporary Issues
- General News
- Long-Term Projects
- Spot News
- The winners of the World Press Photo of the Year and the World Press Photo Story of the Year awards will receive €10,000 each. This means all contest winners will share in prizes totaling more than €130,000 in value.
- All nominees are invited to Amsterdam in April to receive their prize at the annual Awards Show. This takes place just before the World Press Photo Festival, an event to which winners are invited, featuring presentations, screenings, workshops and meetups.
- The prize-winning photographs are assembled into an exhibition that travels to 45 countries and is seen by more than 4 million people each year. The winning pictures are also published in a yearbook, which is available in multiple languages.
- Open to professional photographers. Every entrant needs to provide a
valid document that proves their current professional status. Examples
of documents that count as proof include, but are not limited to:
- a recent letter of reference (must be from 2018 or 2019) from a photo agency, photo editor, media organization or publication; or
- membership document from a recognized photographic association that show photographer is a professional member; or
- at least 1 tearsheet showing your picture/s from 2019 or 2018, with your name visible as credit, in either online or print format from a recognized media organization or publication;
- journalism union membership card; or
- press card.
- Team entries of two or more photographers are allowed. Per team member proof of professional status must be provided.
- The photographer(s) must be the author(s) of the pictures submitted in his/her/their name.
- The photographer(s), or the agent or representative entering on their behalf, must be the copyright holder(s) or have been authorized by the copyright holder(s) to submit the pictures.
- A picture can only be entered once, either as a single picture or as part of a story, or as part of a body of work in Long-Term Projects. Pictures submitted more than once will be removed from the contest.
- Pictures can be submitted whether or not they have been published.
Pictures must meet the following specifications:
- Upload images with the original pixel size (unless cropped). Do not scale and do not change the resolution.
- IICC profile must be embedded. AdobeRGB, sRGB or grayscale Gamma 2.2 are recommended. No CMYK.
- Must be uploaded in JPEG format with high quality compression. They will use winning images for high quality reproduction.
The deadline for requesting a username and password to the entry website is 9 January 2020, 12.00 (noon) Central European Time. The closing date for submitting entries to the 2020 Contest is 14 January 2020, 12.00 (noon) Central European Time.
You may also be interested in the World Press Photo Digital Storytelling Contest 2020
For more information, visit World Press Photo Contest.