The CAUSE Leadership Academy (CLA), is an eight-week paid internship program for college undergraduates that prepares the next generation to lead and represent the Asian Pacific American (APA) community.
Founded in 1991 as the California Asian American Student Internship Coalition (CASIC), CLA’s goal is to develop a pipeline of civic leadership for the APA community. As the fastest growing community in the United States, it is key that representation and leadership in the public, private, and non-profit sectors keep pace with our country’s changing demographics.
Through CLA, students are exposed to thought leaders, policymakers, and the issues of the day. Interns gain a deeper awareness of the civic issues facing the APA community in California. By the program’s end, students will have an understanding of how to engage in the politics of the day to affect the change they want to see in the world. Graduates of this program have gone on to run for political office and become leaders in politics, business, and nonprofits.
Duration: June 15th, 2020 – August 14th, 2020 (9 weeks)
Time Commitment: Must be able to commit full time for 40 hours per week. Additional hours to work on a group project will also be required.
Stipend: A stipend of $2000 will be provided upon satisfactory completion of the program and will serve as reimbursement for expenses accrued throughout the program’s duration. Limited additional support is made available on a case-by-case basis.
Requirements: Please keep in mind, the majority of activities will take place in the Greater Los Angeles area. Interns are required to commute to and from their office placement, weekly civic leadership workshops, various mandatory meetings/events, and to group project meetings on an as-needed basis. Access to reliable transportation and being mindful of traffic conditions in Los Angeles is a must.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Either graduating high school seniors, undergraduates, or recent graduates (Class of 2020)
- Able to commute and arrive to designated program activities on time
- Must be able to attend and actively participate in all mandatory events
- Priority will be given to Southern California Residents
Application & Deadline
To successfully submit your application, you will need:
1. Your professional resume ready to upload in PDF format.
2. Your unofficial school transcript ready to upload in PDF format.
3. Signed Terms & Conditions Form (download here) ready to upload in PDF format.
4. Responses to the short response questions below ready to copy/paste into the application form.
- Short Response #1: Why are you interested in the CAUSE Leadership Academy? What do you hope to learn or gain from participating in this internship program? (300 words max)
- Short Response #2: The CAUSE Leadership Academy exists to support the development of leaders who are committed to serving their communities. Please tell us about what community means to you, and what you have done to give back, support, or uplift your community. (300 words max)
- Short Response #3: Considering all of your identities (race, gender, sex, etc.) and past lived experiences, tell us about an identity or past experience that is important in shaping how you see yourself. (300 words max)
5. A Letter of Recommendation either ready to upload in PDF format or to be emailed separately to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The letter must be written and submitted directly by a member of your school’s faculty OR a supervisor from work, internships, or volunteer programs. It is your responsibility to ensure that the author of your letter of recommendation submits the document before the deadline.
Students who apply by the priority deadline of Monday, December 9th at 11:59 pm PST will be granted priority consideration.
All applications, including the letter of recommendation, must be completed by the deadline of Sunday, January 12th, 2020 at 11:59 pm PST.
For more information, visit CAUSE Leadership Academy (CLA)