Application is now open for BBC & British Council International Radio Play Writing Competition 2020. Are you a promising writer living outside the UK? Would you like to have your story heard by the world? Then, you’re should submit your scripts for the 27th International Radio Playwriting Competition.
Further, the International Radio Playwriting Competition, hosted by BBC World Service and the British Council, offers the unique opportunity for playwrights to have their radio play heard across the world by the BBC World Service’s millions of listeners.
Whether you’re an established or a completely new writer, the competition welcomes scripts from anyone outside of the UK. The radio dramas can be on any subject you like, as long as they are 53 minutes long.
What is the prize?
- The two winners will have their plays recorded and broadcast on BBC World Service.
- Further, they will also receive £2,500 sterling and a trip to London (including airfare and accommodation for one person) where they will attend an award ceremony.
- Also, we’re glad to award a Special Commendation in the name of the writer Georgi Markov, for the play with the most potential on the shortlist.
Who is eligible to apply for International Radio Play Writing Competition
- Entry to the International Radio Playwriting Competition 2020 is open to anyone over the age of 18 (as of 31 January 2020),
- who is not normally a resident of the United Kingdom.
- Further, both new and established writers are encouraged to apply.
- Similarly, there are two categories for entry.
- One is for entrants who speak English as a first language,
- the other for entrants with English as a second language.
- Also, the BBC may require proof of eligibility for the second category.
How to apply for BBC & British Council International Radio Play Writing Competition?
Entrants should write a radio play of approximately 53 minutes’ length on any subject of their choice. The play must be substantially or entirely in English. Your script should be accompanied by a short synopsis, of no more than 400 words, which outlines the complete story of the play. You can apply by the following methods:
- online at https://bbcplaywrite.monterosa.co.uk/
- by e-mail to email@example.com.
- in person at your local British Council office
- similarly, by post to International Playwriting Competition 2020, BBC Radio Drama, Room 6015 BBC Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London, W1A 1AA United Kingdom
In order for your entry to be accepted, it must be accompanied by a completed copy of the entry form which can be downloaded here.
|Type of Opportunity||Competitions and Awards Conferences|
|Deadline||31 January 2020|
|Open to||All Nationalities except the UK|
|Organizer||BBC and British Council|