Deadline: January 31, 2020
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is accepting applications for the 2020 International Youth Fellowship. AKFC is searching for individuals who can demonstrate a commitment to international development, are driven by the desire to make a meaningful change in the world and are ready to apply their skills and experience to a challenging overseas internship.
In the last 30 years, over 500 young Canadians have participated in AKFC’s International Youth Fellowship Program – an extraordinary opportunity to become a leader in global development. This prestigious Fellowship is a launching pad for diverse careers in the government, non-profit, media and finance sectors. It offers a training program and an eight-month overseas placement to recent university graduates and young professionals under 30.
Before Fellows depart for their eight-month overseas placement in Asia or Africa, they attend a month-long seminar in Ottawa, which provides a thorough grounding in the skills and knowledge required to contribute effectively to their host organizations. Workshops are facilitated by leading international development professionals, based in Canada and overseas.
The International Youth Fellowship Program builds the skills of young Canadians and supports the work of AKFC’s partner organizations overseas. Participants can apply for one of three streams that best match their backgrounds and interests:
- International Development Management (IDM): Fellows benefit from placements in a variety of organizations, working in fields such as health, education, rural development, and civil society strengthening. Placements include positions in research, project management, communications, and monitoring and evaluation.
- International Microfinance and Microenterprise (IMM): Fellows gain experience with an organization involved in microfinance or market development, to develop skills in the day-to-day operations and evaluation of these programs.
- Young Professionals in Media (YPM): Fellows work as journalists for Nation Media Group, a leading media outlet in East Africa. With opportunities to report in print, broadcast, and digital media, Fellows gain the skills to work effectively in today’s global media environment.
AKFC covers the major costs associated with the Fellowship, such as travel and living expenses. Fellows are required to make a one-time contribution of $1,000 towards the costs of their Fellowship.
To become an International Youth Fellow, applicants must:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Be 30 years of age or younger at the time of the application deadline
- Be able to demonstrate a strong interest in the field of international development and their chosen Fellowship stream
- Hold at a minimum an undergraduate university degree
Application & Deadline
Applications are invited on a yearly cycle, due early in the new year. The seminar in Ottawa takes place in late spring, with overseas placements beginning mid-summer and lasting eight months. Fellows also share their experiences with Canadians through a variety of outreach activities.
Apply to become an International Youth Fellow
For more information, visit AKF Canada.
Deadline: January 31, 2020